Monday, December 7, 2020

Survival: Survival Monkey Fist - Home Office Edition!

Yes....yeeess, I know I know. I start to look like a one-trick-pony here doing the same stuff over and over again. Best example: The "Survival Monkey Fist"

Which kind of anal retentive weirdo does these over and over again?! Is the repetitive work soothing for you/me? Am I on the spectrum?

I am quite possibly on the said spectrum but simple fact is: The meds and water purification tablets in survival sets have a shelf life and I don`t want to have a false feeling of "being prepared".

So I opened the wide selection of Survival Monkey`s Fist Survival Monkey`s Fist - Deluxe Edition or the legendary (in my own head) Glow-In-The-Dark Survival Monkey`s Fist to exchange the meds and water purification tablets and/or to add or to remove stuff I regret having/not having put there.


Borg Cube? The Puzzle Box from the movie Hellraiser?
Or just a frame to keep control with a 15 strand Monkey`s Fist


Lots of stuff I can reuse from the old/opened Monkey Fists.
I am sticking with the Israeli Taharmayim water purification tablets, 
they have a pretty long shelf life and I dont have to exchange them
before 2024. Bonus!


A neodym magnet, I often found they have a 
weird tendency to be extremely handy.


A nano titanium cleaver because it is small
enough to fit in and because I have no other use
for it. (Don`t eBay and drink!!)


A scraper for a mini ferrocerium rod I am going to add.
The compressed napkins I like to use for Capillary Water Filtration


All the other usual suspects are there again:
Tampons for water filtration (more to that later)
A BIC mini lighter with 3-4 m of duct tape, freezer bags, 
mini ferrocerium rod etc etc etc


I am sealing the lid on the plastic ball and work 
the Monkey`s Fist...in a fit of hubris I start without 
a frame...this is the sad result.


Better build a frame, this can be done with 
bamboo sticks for kitchen use and rubber band
(My favorite as it gives the best result...even though
it is fidgety to work with!) Here also a very nice picture
of the plastic ball I am using as container.


Easiest to make a frame with LEGO bricks.


Nice and even..


A paracord needle is THE tool for the job, you can get them cheap on eBay.


That is the problem with a LEGO frame:
The thickness of the bricks makes the ball "float"
in a tangle of cord if you are not EXTREMELY 
careful when removing the bricks. With the bamboo
stick frame you don`t have problems like that!


VOILA! Almost perfect little #EDC survival
kit...until 2024 :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stunt Kite Fun

  I managed to attach a "NoPro" camera between the bridles of a stunt kite and got fairly good results: