Monday, December 7, 2020

Survival: Cotton Pad & Vaseline Fire Starter

Vaseline maybe doesn`t strike you as a "survival remedy" but its one of those things so small and cheap: It is almost stupid not to carry it....at least if you plan to make a fire with a Ferrocerium Rod / Flint striker

Anyhow, I usually carry a small tin with Vaseline/Petroleum Jelly to use against chaffed lips during wintertime. So it is a win-win. I might be lacking at bit more in the cotton pad department, but I usually carry (PLENTY of!) tampons in my EDC. They work fine too.

Using vaseline is not my favorite method though, that title still belongs to the Tinder Rasp but hey: A fire is a fire.


Petrol Jelly/Cotton pad in action

Knife? Check!
Tinder? Check?
IKEA hobo stove? Check?
Cheap, Chinese Ferrocerium rod? CHECK?

Yup, you heard right: I like to use the cheap, Chinese ferrocerium rods.
You can`t beat the price of 2 $ with shipping.

Cotton pad / petroleum jelly


Try to pull the pad in half so the fibrous inside is exposed.
FIBROUS is the keyword because the cottons fibers will catch 
and "nest" any spark you make with your ferro rod.


So, the trick is only to cover HALF of a cotton, the other 
(fibrous) half has to stay free to catch the sparks.

Also: Small fibrous hairs are easier ignited than a smooth surface. 

A less than impressive spark (or less than impressive skills with a 
camera)...

..but it did the job!

Quickly into the stove


Bit of tinder

Okay, a LOT more tinder!

I rest my case!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stunt Kite Fun

  I managed to attach a "NoPro" camera between the bridles of a stunt kite and got fairly good results: