Thursday, December 10, 2020

Tales Of Ice And Fire

Once if the ideas I had during lockdown for a bit unusual garden ornament/decoration for the winter:

A fire bowl made out of ice.


It sounds like the kind of poetry an eighth grader would write:
"...it burns like Ice and Fire..."

I let water freeze in a steel bowl with a weighted metal bottle in the middle.

To remove the bottle I fill it with hot water.

Now I fill the hole left behind by the bottle so just a ca 5 cm deep hole is left.
I let that water freeze too.

Turn the bowl around, douse it with hot water to free the "ice lens"


Now add a bit of petroleum paste to the hole and...

...set on fire :-)

The flames will actually not touch the ice as only the fumes, 
which are 2-3 mm over the petroleum paste, are burning.
So the ice will not melt all too fast, with a bit of luck you have it 
all night :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stunt Kite Fun

  I managed to attach a "NoPro" camera between the bridles of a stunt kite and got fairly good results: