Monday, December 30, 2019

Survival: The Improvised Water Filter

There a literally a million instructions on how to improvise a water filter. Usually with a tin or bottle as container, these are great. But for this project I chose a cone made out of birch bark.

I`m peelin a nice, square piece of birch bark off a tree.

Be careful not to poke any holes.
I roll it into a cone and secure it with a single constrictor knot.

I place one large and several small pebbles at the bottom to prevent everything falling out.

Add sand or very small pebbles, you don't have to add a lot as the sand 
mostly serves to...

...keep thecharcoal from running out together with the water.
 I pulverize it conveniently inside of the cone with a stick.
The charcoal with take care of most toxins and germs.

More sand. This time for particle filtration

I have a lot of leftover charcoal, so I add more just for the hell of it.

A nice clean pond....

...and the fun starts.

Looks good!

And we have clean drinking water!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stunt Kite Fun

  I managed to attach a "NoPro" camera between the bridles of a stunt kite and got fairly good results: