Sunday, January 10, 2021

Survival: Playing With Matches

5-6 years ago I bought some cheap (!), allegedly waterproof, containers on eBay as I then was going through an obsessive "survival tin" phase.

I used the containers for a bunch of Micro Torches and since then never really used them again, apart from having them in the car for some years and bouncing them around in a backpack when actually DID remember them.

I was curious what age & vibrations did to the micro torches and especially if the silicone grease, which I used as additional sealant, had any effect.

Let`s find out!

Here they are: I think they have cost me less than
2 $ a piece on eBay. With shipping. 

Bit like opening a time capsule. The tissue paper I used 
as padding and moisture absorber seems to be dry, although 
it has a greasy feel to it from the silicon grease.

Yeah, less grease next time!

Let`s take a look at the goods: The matches look ok but the striker surfaces
(which were in the tube OUTSIDE the tissue padding to avoid unintentional
ignition) look a bit stained from the grease.

I take the striker surface that looks worst off and..no problems here!!

This is 3 (!) minutes after.

5-6 minutes after.

Also: It is cold, lets see how they do as fire starters!
(Yes, I know. I need to clean my fireplace!)

Case closed! To the right side of the flames you can still see about 6 cm
of the micro torch and the fire is going really well!

Some micro torche`s wax seemed to have become brittle over 
the years, I don`t know if it is due to shitty craftsmanship or 
time/exposure. I keep the ones looking like new... 

...and add some normal matches. As a real Scandinavian
there is only ONE match. One match to rule them all!

I roll the micro torches twice in the tissue before I add the matches.
Just to avoid that the matches will rub against the torches and
cause the wax to get brittle.

Im also adding new striker surfaces. 
(This time wrapped in cellophane)

Im curious if the containers, which I never tested,
actually ARE waterproof. A 36 hours immersion test will show!

Bone dry!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stunt Kite Fun

  I managed to attach a "NoPro" camera between the bridles of a stunt kite and got fairly good results: