Friday, January 29, 2021

Survival: The Fisherman`s Friend Survival Tin

"Survival tins" are ubiquitous ("ubiquitous"? How very hipster of me!) and everyone has their own ideas how they should look like or what they should contain. Their usefulness is often disputed but I stick to mine as I can`t see anything wrong with the concept of having a few useful items, not exceeding 100 g weightwise,  on me at all times.

My line of thought in this regards is: "What would I like to have when I am locked out on a rooftop somewhere?" (May favorite horror scenario gracefully provided to me by the film "American Blackout" from National Geographic.

As I have done quite a lot of "spring cleaning" and went through a long line (*) of scattered survival sets in my car, back pack etc etc etc I thought I take the chance and show off the content a bit.

(*) This actually had me worried as I thought I am starting to be a borderline hoarder or obsessive EDC`er.


This particular tin actually started its EDC life as a mini-tackle box....


I kind of like the design...

And here`s whats in it: The tampon and the compressed napkin
(both for wound dressing and water filtration) stay in the tin, I just 
neglected to make pictures of them. Also on the lower right corner
you`ll see a few Mirco Torches

Printed survival instructions I took from an old
"commercial" survival tin. The tin was rubbish
but the instructions are sound. They also serve as
anti-scratch cover for my....

...credit card sized Fresnel lens.
Excellent for making fire as shown on the video at
the bottom of this post.

Lens and instruction in place.

As part of the spring cleaning I exchanged the water purification tablets.
These are good until 2023 now.

The band aid`s are in a good shape and can stay.

Striker surface for my micro torches

SOLAS signal whistle, toothbrushes and mirco torches (in tin foil)

Loperamide and Paracetamol are exchanged and good until 2023.

A little demo video on how to make a fire with a fresnel lens:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stunt Kite Fun

  I managed to attach a "NoPro" camera between the bridles of a stunt kite and got fairly good results: