Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Kelly Kettle Hack No.1 - Penne on a string

First: What is a Kelly Kettle?

A Kelly Kettle is a so called "volcano stove": It provides an extremely effective way to boil water with a minimum of fuel as a jacket of water surrounds a fire chamber. This method exposes a maximum of water surface to the heat and boils water extremely fast.

If I had to choose between any item of my gear and my Kelly Kettle: The KK would win!

Wee graphic to describe above...

Anyway: Last spring we went for a three-day bike ride and I wanted to surprise my wife with some camp cooking above the ordinary. 

But unfortunately I forgot the pot set for my Kelly Kettle at home and my ambitious plans for elegant/advanced outdoor cookery werereduced to the usual freeze dried misery.


My trusty Kelly Kettle: Going strong for over 10 years now
But during our trips second day I had an idea: Why not take some string...heat resistant, taste neutral and food grade...and thread the pasta on it?

Turned out to be a great idea:


I only filled my 1,6 L kettle 1/3 before I added the pasta.

I threaded the penne on 2 m of dental floss and....


SUCCESS! :-)

Perfect for pesto!

Never forget your dental floss on hikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stunt Kite Fun

  I managed to attach a "NoPro" camera between the bridles of a stunt kite and got fairly good results: