Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Survival: Cooking With The Dutch Oven

During the cold, maybe not so cold right now, season I like to cook food over open fire. Especially with my Fire Pot or "Dutch Oven".

The Dutch Oven is a thick walled, cast iron pot designed to make food in over a fire. It is perfect for larger groups and probably lasts several generations (what happened to the profession "Tinker"??)

The Fire Pot in Action
My Fire Pot has a 4 L volume. Enough for 5 persons.

First add a thin layer of fat.

Then a layer of cabbage, at least 2 cm thick! The Cabbage will prevent
the rest of the food getting burned. I added some bacon skins for extra taste &
increased chance of heart diseases.....


More cabbage...and bacon!


Sausages! We forgot about sausages!

I make up for it by adding a good amount!

Potatoes!

Rosemary.

Quite a lot rosemary actually.

More potatoes, celery and carrots.

And onions.
Ready to go!


I place the pot on a cast iron tripod.

A better picture of the tripod :-)

Soon a delicious smell starts to spread...

Better put the lid back on.


After 1 1/2 hours :-)
The cabbage got burnt a bit....

But nothing a high pressure cleaner can`t cope with....

It is a bit of work...but worth it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stunt Kite Fun

  I managed to attach a "NoPro" camera between the bridles of a stunt kite and got fairly good results: