Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Survival: The Pot Chain Garden

Last summer I experimented with ways to grow food in very small places like window sills and balconies.

Naturally you would grow your food in (improvised) pots and buckets like I did with my Upside Down Tomatoes

That method was a great success and something I will do again next year in a larger scale.

I also found a way to tie several pots together in a chain, this would make it possible to distribute a lot of food on a very small area....by just hanging your pot chain over the side of the balcony for instance.

Best plants for this method are:

- climbing beans (in the lowest pot, so the beans can climb up on the rope)

- beets or zucchini (in the middle section)

- herbs/spices

I connected the pots with a simple Barrel Hitch which gave the whole thing a semi elegant look!




Small space food production on a "large scale" :-)
I tied three buckets/pots together in a "train" using the Barrel Hitch

I seperate the pots with a Reef Knot

What holds a 200 L Oildrum on the sea can definitely hold a pot :-)

Soon the vines from the beans planted in all three pots are CLIMBING








The "mutant beans" I use are Berlotti beans :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stunt Kite Fun

  I managed to attach a "NoPro" camera between the bridles of a stunt kite and got fairly good results: